Sharing “about me” is actually challenge for me. Not because there isn’t a story to tell, but because I am usually more comfortable talking about YOU than myself; however, in order for you to know me, it is necessary for me to take the time to share about the person behind the writing.
Although I currently reside in Plano, TX, located near Dallas, I will always bleed Kentucky BLUE! I was born at the University of Kentucky Chandler Medical Center in February of 1970 and raised in a small town just south called Stanford. The circumstance through which I was conceived and birthed is less than glamorous, but I’ve found God thrills in taking what is “less than glamorous” and molding it into something fit for His use.
As way of introduction, I am a wife, a mother, a daughter, a friend, a nurse, an aunt, a cousin, a daughter-in-law, a sister-in-law, a traveler, a reader, a student of human behavior, a teacher, a musician, a caregiver and a writer. To further introduce myself, I am going to draw from my past ~ deep into my past ~ HIGH SCHOOL! One of my favorite musicals of all time, one we did at my high school, is THE SOUND OF MUSIC. Through a particular song, My Favorite Things, Julie Andrew’s character, Maria, shares with the children all her “favorite” things. Taking from her idea, I am going to share my favorite things to give you a picture of who I am.
My FAVORITE sports team is the University of Kentucky Wildcat Men’s Basketball team. I guess you would consider me a FANatical fan, one who has followed their play since childhood. GO BIG BLUE is a commonly heard chant around our home, especially during MARCH MADNESS.
My FAVORITE Biblical account has to be that of Hosea and Gomer. This gem of a book, nestled in the latter part of the Old Testament, has God’s mercy and grace woven throughout. Although the story was written with Hosea representing God the Father with Gomer as the ever wandering Israelites, it is through Christ’s sacrifice that the same grace and mercy demonstrated in the account was extended to us ~ the Gentiles.
My FAVORITE scripture has to be Ephesians 1:13 “And now you Gentiles have also heard the truth, the Good News that God saves you. And when you believed in Christ, he identified you as his own by giving you the Holy Spirit, whom he promised long ago.” As an adopted child, although I was adopted by family members, there is always the looming question in the back of my mind “Who do I resemble?” I don’t necessarily mean in looks, but in all aspects ~ my likes and dislikes, my temperment and disposition. When I accepted Christ at age 24 my identity in Him became clear ~ I was His, made in His image and likeness.
My FAVORITE person from scripture, other than Jesus, must be, Hannah. Two weeks before marrying Dan, my OB/GYN identified a problem during a routine visit. We married knowing I would be facing surgery shortly after returning from our honeymoon.
Since becoming parents was atop our list (we married slightly later in life), we were anxious for me to have the surgery to see what we were up against. Unfortunately, the news was a bit discouraging. My OG/GYN, after doing all she could do, gave us the report we did not want to hear. She guesstimated we had, at best, a 50/50 chance of being able to conceive naturally. With that in mind, she referred us to an infertility specialist in a neighboring city.
Believe it or not, his prognosis was less encouraging than before. He plainly said “You have a better chance of winning the lottery than becoming pregnant naturally”; however, he felt as though he might be able to increase y chances through another surgery. Fine. If that is what we need to do, then fine.
The surgery was planned for the latter part of 2002. During that time I dove into the book of 1 Samuel, gleaning what I could from Hannah, a woman to which I could totally relate. I drew strength, courage and boldness from her. A week or so prior to Thanksgiving, I thought I might be expecting. “ Impossible”, I thought, “two physicians told me that conceiving naturally was near to impossible.” Two words flashed like lights in the sky ~ BUT GOD…
God remembered both Hannah and me. We both delivered healthy sons whom we dedicated right back to Him. Hannah ~ my example.
My FAVORITE song has to be, and this is a tough one, My Passion by Travis Cottrell. Travis, in just a few words, sums up exactly what I feel. Here’s a sample:
You alone are my passion forever.
Song of my soul,
Desire of my heart.
You alone are my passion, my treasure.
I love you for all that You are.
To the ends of the earth I will follow.
There’s nothing that I will not do.
You alone are my reason for living.
Jesus my passion is You.
Jesus my passion is You.
Check it out under the “My Playlist” category.
My FAVORITE novel is REDEEMING LOVE by Francine Rivers. This book, set in the 1850’s, brings to life my favorite biblical account ~ Hosea and Gomer. I have to admit this was the first novel I ever read, by my own choosing, that is. Honestly, once I began reading it, I struggled putting it down. It captured me so to lay it on the bedside table meant a momentary disconnect from the characters I grew to love. I highly recommend this read if you have already had the opportunity to do so.
Now, lets get a quick rundown of some more of my Favorite Things…
- My FAVORITE thing about my husband is his ability to calm any situation.
- My FAVORITE thing about my son is his laugh.
- My FAVORITE color is green.
- My FAVORITE day of the week is Saturday.
- My FAVORITE outfit is anything comfortable.
- My FAVORITE time of the day is right before bedtime.
- My FAVORITE place to read and study is my comfy, brown recliner in our bedroom.
- My FAVORITE season is spring.
- My FAVORITE airline is AirTRAN.
- My FAVORITE vacation involves a beach and a book.
- My FAVORITE word is grace.
- My FAVORITE book of the Bible is Romans.
- My FAVORITE month of the year is December.
- My FAVORITE historical figure is Abraham Lincoln.
- My FAVORITE President is Ronald Reagan.
- My FAVORITE TV show is Burn Notice.
- My FAVORITE holiday is Thanksgiving.
- My FAVORITE animal is, well, anything that doesn’t make me sneeze.
- My FAVORITE movies are Gladiator and Braveheart. (I couldn’t narrow it down any farther).
- My FAVORITE “me time” includes a pedicure bath and bright polish.
- My FAVORITE household chore is laundry.
- My FAVORITE subject in school was history.
- My FAVORITE cola is Coca-Cola (I could sustain life with an IV of coke).
- My FAVORITE clothing store is Talbots.
- My FAVORITE grocery store is Whole Foods.
- My FAVORITE video game is Ms. Pac-Man (with a recent high score at Fudrucker’s).
- My FAVORITE dine-in restaurant is Ruth’s Chris.
- My FAVORITE fast food restaurant is McDonald’s.
- My FAVORITE outdoor activity is swimming.
- My FAVORITE flower is a calla lily.
- My FAVORITE thing about me is my ability to encourage others.
- My FAVORITE indoor activity is scrapbooking.
- My FAVORITE shoes are flip flops.
- My FAVORITE cartoon is, and always has been, Scooby-Doo.
- My FAVORITE overall thing to do is WRITE.
I hope this gives you insight into who I am. I am thrilled you have chosen to investigate my blog and pray it blesses you!